Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"There are many sides to reality. Choose the one that's best for you." (Ionesco)

So that's how you change an actor into rhino on the stage!
It's actually not necessary for the play. The numerous rhinoceroses that are involved in the performance never appear on the stage. They are only somewhere in the background, making noticeable noise and attracting all actors who always start to scream: “Oh, I rhinoceros!” They probably do so to draw the audience’s attention to the non-existent beasts. Anyway, the idea presented in this picture is simply clever!


Today I should talk about the plot and the major events that happen in the play, but I have talked about this many times before. And I also know the ending, so I cannot make any speculations or guesses about it. Instead I wanna post a short video which  summarizes the main events and describes Ionesco's life. 

5 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to reading your production notes to see how you would present the rhinos should you be the one to produce this play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I'm really enjoying reading through your blog and it takes more than a quick read! I am officially learning something here. Excellent information and I like your video links a lot.

    Something to think about; when we jump out of trends to be unique, how often do we inadvertently fall into another trend? Maybe it's an anti-trend, but still a trend... thoughts?=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :)
    That's an interesting question! And it immediately reminded me of something I had read in the book ŽERT(The Joke) written by Milan Kundera.. fortunately, I have that book in English as well, so let me quote that part:

    "Miss Broz (...) was holding forth on how she loved hitchhiking. She spoke about it with such emphasis (somewhat affected) that I could see at once that I was hearing the 'manifesto of her generation'. Every generation has its own set of passions, loves, and interests, which it professes with certain tenacity, to differentiate it from older generations and to confirm itself in its uniqueness. (...) After Miss Broz had developed her provocative argument (I've now heard it at least fifty times from people her age) that all mankind is divided into those who who give hitchhikers lifts and those who don't (inhuman people who fear life), I jokingly called her a 'dogmatist of the hitch'. She answered sharply that she was neither dogmatist nor revisionist nor sectarian nor deviationist, that those were all word of ours, that we had invented them, that they belong to us, and that they were completely alien to them."

    ...The girl wants to be unique and different from other people (that are slightly older than she is) -- and she inadvertently falls into a new trend.
    So yeah, I definitely agree with your idea! It seems that it's actually impossible not to follow any trends.
    There's a nice saying about this:
    Always remember you’re unique... just like everyone else =))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like the transformation of a man to rhinoceros!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It reminds me of those who try hardest not to be trendy -- punks or goths, etc. -- they become so anti-trend and anti-conformist that they actually are as strict about their uniforms as any military would be. Just like everybody else :)

    ReplyDelete