Monday, January 30, 2012

What is it about?



Rhinoceros, written in 1959, is a play about one man watching all the people around him changing into rhinos without any reason or purpose. Finally, the man ends up as the only human being against the army of rhinoceroses. It takes place in a small nameless French town. The main character is an everyman figure (yep, I have just learnt a new word!!). 


This signifies that the situation that arises in the play can happen to everyone and everywhere in the world. Well, deep in my mind, I don’t really think that anywhere in the world people may go through a metamorphosis and change into rhinos... But of course, that’s just an allegory. I need to read the book and look up some extra information to find out what the author meant by this story...

10 comments:

  1. Cool, however if I could I would rather be a bird or something...:-D Why do you think he picked rhinoceroses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I think he wanted to express his fear of ideological mass movements, of what society and people can do if you are not like one of them.. for this purpose, rhinoceroses seem to be more suitable.. you know, they are huge and frightening.. =)

      Delete
  2. Well, yeah... Sounds reasonable... However, I believe that he could have chosen cows (a huge herd of cows is pretty dangerous and frightening, too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I´ve deleted the comment by accident, so second try--Mainly to Tereza:
    True that cows are sometimes frightening but rhinoes are more unusual. So, at the beginning (before everyone changes)one rhino in a village would look extremely strange but one cow in small village would seem pretty normal, don´t you think??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! When they firstly appear, everyone is surprised and scared - how come there are rhinos in France? Finally, nobody is surprised and everybody changes into rhinos -- it actually shows how powerful the conformity to society is!

      Delete
  4. Interesting, how a person change into a rhino in human minds...I would prefer to be a GIRAFFE :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why Giraffe, Barco? Is it because they are tall, elegant and phlegmatic? =D anyway, I like the idea =)

      Delete
    2. I don't know, I'm scared of rhinos :D And GIRAFFES looks calm and Im not sure if they r phlegmatic :D

      Delete
  5. Absolutely excellent little discussion here! =)Great looking blog Adela

    ReplyDelete